Friday, October 31, 2008

Costs more than Death

Every night my wife and I read a chapter to each other (this is kind of weird writing in a third person sort of thing when 99% of my readers are close friends, so I hope you appreciate this 1%) from the bible.  Right now we are in the book of James.
I have loved this book for a long time.  It is one of a small series of biblical books that I frequent quite often.  I even took a seminar on this book where I essentially had to memorize the whole thing.  Yet still it amazes me that I find something completely new last.   
James 4:15b and 17 read
"If it's the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."
"Anyone then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

Nike might be the Greek goddess of victory, but clearly "just do it" is a Christian thing.  There have been certain issues that I have been wrestling with and essentially over complicating, and these things are several years off.  This isn't how Jesus really works things.  Things are a lot simpler in His plan.  If He asks than you do.  
For me this comes that I am called to Salt Lake City.  So I will go.  I don't need to worry about mother churches, or team members, finances, location, what do I say, or thousands of other things.  I just need to go.  
So this what equates to "Do this ______, or sin", slightly more existential and weighty than Do or Die.

No comments: